The idea of developing positive habits and making changes to better yourself can seem overwhelming. By taking small steps daily and making subtle changes you will find that these new and improved habits are becoming part of your everyday routine. Here are some great habits that can be developed in 30 minutes or less per day. Choose a few and start putting them into action today. Before you know it, you will find that you have developed some great new habits that will make you healthier, wealthier, and wiser:
1. EXPAND YOUR MIND: Seek out continuous learning every day. Learning is a lifetime pursuit. It keeps our minds sharp and increases our knowledge, which is good for personal self-esteem as well as for business and career advancements.
2. LET GO OF STRESS: Easier said than done, you may say, but with just a bit of effort and focus, you can at least reduce the negative stress. Try putting things into perspective. If you find yourself worrying about something, ask yourself, is there anything I can do to change this situation right this moment? If the answer is no, let it go. Stressing over things you can’t change is taxing both mentally and physically. Learn to let go of that which does not work.
3. WALK AND TALK: A brisk 20-minute walk first thing in the morning or during your lunch break will give you a clear head, improve your concentration, and give your body a boost of energy and endorphins to make you feel good all day. It’s also a great opportunity to multi-task. For my clients who rely on me to communicate often, I like to call them while taking my morning walk. I simply call and say, “I wanted to be sure I didn’t miss talking with you so I am doing my morning walk while we discuss our points today…” People often laugh or say, “I’d love to join you on a walk next time.” This has led to some great business walks.
4. VISUALIZE YOUR GAME PLANS: Think about the things you want to accomplish for the day, and visualize them as if you have already successfully completed them. Let the feeling of accomplishment spread over you as you think about these things being done. Now you have all the motivation you need to actually follow through and get them done!
5. ACKNOWLEDGE YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND EXPRESS GRATITUDE OFTEN: Expressing gratitude is important in your daily lives. Whether it’s a gesture, a hand written note card, text message or phone call, be sure to give credit and thank those often who are part of your lives and part of your work. Also, we are so quick to acknowledge others for their accomplishments and successes, but how often do we take the time to give ourselves a pat on the back for our own? Take time to celebrate your successes and “wins.”
6. INVESTING IN YOUR PERSONAL GROWTH: Surround yourself with inspiring people. Watch TED talks. TED talks are roughly 20 minutes long. They feature speakers who are experts on many different subjects. You can learn about new technologies, ways to build your confidence, strategies for business.
It isn’t necessary to make huge changes to your life or your routine to develop some really great habits that will make a major difference in your life.
Consider adding some more easy positives each day, such as improving your eating habits to increase your energy and mental sharpness; re-working your budget to save a few dollars each week and then doing some wise investing; committing to a full 7-8 hours of sleep per night in order to stay refreshed and on top of your game.
There are so many small things you can do to make positive changes that will help you to be even more successful in all areas of your life!
Tell me, what are some of your ideas to improve your every day life and well being?